My Life On The Silver Screen.

To me, watching a movie isn't about entertainment. Sure it's a great way to fill your spare time but that's not why I watch movies. I watch movies to leave my life behind and be a part of another persons life for two hours or so.

If at the end of those two hours I haven't laughed, cried, rolled my eyes, clenched my fist or yelled at the television - the movie sucked.

If I've checked my phone, opened the lid on my laptop or walked into the kitchen for a drink during the movie without wanting to pause it - the movie sucked.

I watch a lot of movies and television shows. They are both addictive in their own way. Television is usually more convenient because you don't have to wait two years for the next part of the story (better known as the sequel).

Lately I've been wondering just how involved I get in movies. I watched the movie Flipped today for the first time and it was great. I really enjoyed it and I'm not too ashamed to admit that I cried at the parts that were sad or heart felt. In movies like these, I never realized that when the movie is over, I stand up, close my eyes tight and cry inside for a minute or two.

I take it with me.

I'm starting to think that movies and television really effect my life. It's not hard enough to carry the stress, disappointment, anger, sadness and devastation from my own circumstances but I find myself carrying other peoples baggage with me too.. and they are make believe people at that!

I really wonder if I stopped watching things that make me sad, angry or frustrated, would I be a happier person?

I'd love to put that theory to the test but I know that if I did cut those movies from my day to day life, I would feel like parts of me were missing. Where else would I get to chase a bad guy through the street, find my soul mate at the age of six, hunt monsters in the night or hack into a government computer using a mobile phone?

Movies and television shows make my life more interesting. Do you know anyone else who's a cat burglar on Tuesday, an undercover cop on Wednesday and the head of the Mafia on Thursday?

Didn't think so.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails